Friday, August 1, 2008

say - who was pat maravel? - rosie writes

Yesterday RBKids wrapped up its 2008 Summer Intensive program with the last of four performances put on by the students for their families, friends, and industry professionals.

The next step for us is the move into our new building, the Maravel Arts Center, which will house music and dance studios, administrative offices, and spaces for the kids to use to study and relax. To find out more about the building and how you can help us build Maravel Arts Center, click here.

Below is a special post from Rosie about her former teacher, Pat Maravel, for whom our new building is named.



a post from Rosie
MARAVEL

ms maravel – a twenty something beautiful
almost hippie math teacher
who was engaged to mr pic -
the band teacher I loved instantly -

she - ms maravel -
caught me in the hall
without a pass
the third day of seventh grade

“open your locker – take out all the books”
I did – speechless
with arms full she slammed the locker door closed
“next time – detention, now go”
and I did
our first meeting
without even a hello

pat maravel died last week
nearly three decades after our rocky start.
we buried her today.
I sat today in the front row,
where she placed me from the start
inside her family.
a part of, my very own

I was born twice –
once in 1962,
to a woman who left so quickly,
I never got to know her.
I carry her name,
and from the few photos I have,
her face as well

i was born again
in 1975 to pat maravel,
a woman who refused to let go
she forced life back into my soul –
she stood solid and strong –
she showed up –
she stayed

i never got to ask her why she did it.
rescued this lost puppy of a girl,
motherless and starving
nothing special in any way
What did she see in me?

i tested her for years,
not able to trust,
still so broken.
bit I couldn’t shake her
no matter how I tried
and i did
i was her most difficult child,
she always says –
said
past tense
it hurts to breathe

will I ever stop refrencing my mother
i feel like Liza - with a z
here we go again
this old chestnut

when my mom was sick,
I thought if Barbras mom was sick,
she would go on Johnny Carson
and ask people to send a dollar and then would
and she would buy medicine
and her mom would liv
i believed that true
it’s not.
I have the money now,
and my second mom was not saved
there is no magic medicine

“do you think I am dying?”
she asked me in december
“yes” I anwsered
“me too” she said

then after a moment,
“ro, this is going to be very hard for you”
i laughed as i cried, telling her
“i could not love you more – I will look after the two you pushed out.”
she put on her glasses to get one last look
held me face in her hands
and said “now go”
i did

god has a sense of humor
she gave me two mothers
both die of breast cancer
both times I am devastated beyond words

pat maravel taught me about mothering freedom and family.
about tolerance, activism and compassion
she showed me how to live, how to love, how to give back
she had strong opinions with an open mind
and a will to live that defied doctors rules

I watched myself on 20/20
talking about parenting
i realized just today
I sounded like pat
the way I speak to my children
is the way she spoke to me

when she was dying –
almost too ill to talk
i brought an 8x10 of the kids
for her to see
she smiled with the parts of her face
that still worked

i put it on top of the dresser
in plain view – near the window
after an hour of only one word replys
i got up to go

she stared at me hard
wanting to say something
i could tell
she nodded toward the picture

“the photo pat?”
yes she nodded
i took it down and brought it to her
all emotional and dramatic
“did you want to see the kids pat?”
she rolled her eyes at me and said
no - window
then laughed

my picture was blocking her view
of the birds and trees
i got it – cracked up
then retold it to Joy, Dolores and Jessie
in front of her
she laughed every time
her closing joke

i miss her a lot
now especially
when I feel so much like myself
again


Barbara Walters asked me if my mom
would be proud of me

she was –
her name was pat maravel


she told me so

47 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a touching tribute; it made me cry. I'm so happy you were blessed with two mothers --- I wish I had just one.

Anonymous said...

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL~

I HOPE EVERY CHILD HAS A MOM LIKE THIS***

:)

Leona said...

WOW!! What a heartfelt tribute! You were both blessed to know each other!
Thinking of you,
Leona

Anonymous said...

Ro,
She was an angel in your life... she'll continue to be just that as days go on. Pay attention, keep your eyes (and heart) open, you'll find her in the smallest gestures. That's where love is... in the everyday - everywhere actually.
Peace and love to you and the rest of Pat's family.

cindy said...

I am sorry for your loss...I hope you can find some comfort from those around you at this sad time.

cindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cindy said...

sorry for multiple posts of the exact thing...I didn't realize it went through until I saw where it says "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval.

Charla said...

In August my mom (85 yrs old) is taking my sis and me on an Alaskan cruise, a first for all of us. I smile in anticipation of the time we will have, sitting on the veranda watching the Alaskan world go by. For so many years, we were not friends, we are now and oh, how I cherish it.
As a former oncology nurse, I have seen death so many times, but I have also witnessed the richness of life before the last breaths...the lucky ones leave this world with a smile.

If this is what you will give us during your August off, write on Ro, write on...you are a storyteller and teacher.

JR said...

Rosie,
Although I never had the pleasure of meeting Pat, she has touched me through your words. Pat lives on not just through your memories, and beyond the echos in the halls of the Maravel Center. She lives on through those aspects of her spirit and characteristics you have adopted. This is a blessing not just to you, but to everyone who knows you. Namaste

Anonymous said...

Beautiful in so many ways. How perfect the school is named for her.

Anonymous said...

Oh, ro, you touched my heart. How lucky you are to have had such a caring teacher.

You know she's still taking care of you.

Petra said...

I cried tonight, as I read it
just as I did the first time

I wish the children a lifetime of memories

that will come from relationships formed
and experiences they have
in that building

Pat's house - a different kind of home

where being special, different, talented, lovely, is celebrated

thank you to all the people involved in making RBKids happen

because you're not only changing THESE kids lives - but those of children around them,
and after them,
and their families
and their friends
and their own children one day

you're making a better world
one kid
at a time

: ) P

Anonymous said...

Rosie,
How lucky you were to have such two wonderful women in your life. One that nurtured you as a child, and another as an adult. Thanks for sharing your story.. it was touching!
jenny

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ro, for sharing your life with us. Your pain, as a daughter, has touched me in more ways than I could ever share here. You make me want and be a better mom.

There are no coincedances as you say, and this was a time, where I needed to hear such words.

your stranger friend Evelyn.

May you be the yellow for her two daughters she pushed out.

lesliejill said...

what a truely wonderful tribute to your teacher, friend, neighbor and Mother. She was your angel on earth and will now be your angel in heaven. She will always be your Yellow. She gave you the gift of a lifetime that will never end by teaching you how to be a mother. Use it this August to mother your children, find what you need for you and be content.

Anonymous said...

I remember reading this a on Rosie's former blog. So many emotions all at the same time.
Ro, it is great you have such a nice relationship with Pat's children. It is great so many will see her name and learn who she was.
Best wishes for the buildings opening :) You know you are helping some pretty special kids who really need it.

Anonymous said...

LOVE has a special way of touching us ,and testing us , it makes us grow stronger............loosing someone you love is painful, but building on their memory is a joy .

hugs and butterfly kisses always from Maine ,
Penny

lynn said...

rosie,

I am sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and the rest of Pats family and friends. It sounds like you were both a blessing for each other. Having lost my mom who was also my best friend last year to cancer, I know the void that it leaves in your heart. Know that Pat is watching over you still and smiling proudly and saying.."That's my Rosie"!! I can feel my moms presence and do get signs from her every now and then. Kept your heart and your senses open to them, and you will find them also.
My thoughts are with you. What a wonderful thing you have done in naming the school after Pat.
peace and love

Anonymous said...

Some mothers have nothing to do with biology, but with soul. It is up to us who have no mother to find one, or have one find us.

sylvia said...

So sorry to hear of your loss Rosie, Pat Maravel sounds like a lady that walked the walk, you must have made her very proud. Surely your mom sent her to you. Condolences to all her family.

Christina said...

Dear Sister,
My heart~felt condolences.
Sending you a great big hug of love.
Love Lights Us.
Dolphin~girl
(Christina)

Anonymous said...

I am so sad for you. Alligator tears fell on my cheeks as I read your words. I know you are not suposed to post on your regular blog for a month but I think your readers would want to comfort you and read your tribute to such a great lady. She was always there for you but I can tell you were always there for her too. 2 special ladies found each other.

Joni said...

Rosie...Pat sounds like a wonderful woman. You were blessed with her as a mother figure after you lost your birth mom. She was proud of your life, and you knew that!! I see now whay you haven't been blogging, you were mourning the loss of your mother for the second time. Hugs, love & prayers Rosie !!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful woman, I cried as I read thise last words, thnkas for the honesty and truth in that post, it was truely touching.

JoeyfromSC said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Rosie..She sounds like a wonderful woman!! Major spingles!

Cheryl said...

What a fitting tribute to a person that has touched and given so much of herself to the world.

Teachers are not appreciated and definatly not recognized as the care takers of the future our most valuable resource
OUR CHILDREN!!!!!!!!

Through you RO and the Marvel Center she will live eternally........

Her legacy is you and all she nutured.

She represents all that is and can be good in this world.

Yellow Yellow through and through.

Thank you Pat Marvel for being you.

So sorry for your loss and the worlds............................

Her body might be gone but her spirirt lives on.............

Look up RO when you miss her..................

she is there in HEAVEN........

in

the stars

in the clouds

in the sun

watching over you.....smiling....

HAVE A YELLOW AUGUST

LOVE,
C

Anonymous said...

Beautiful

Dots said...

It occurs to me that perhaps Pat was able to be there for you in ways your birth Mother could not have been.
As I grow older, I find some of the most painful and unfair experiences all begin to make sense in the grand scheme.

Anonymous said...

reading thru the tears of your most heartfelt thoughts for a mother, who truly molded you. the pain never goes away, but the memories fill your soul with yellow. August was the month my father died of cancer "colon", for the boys, "breast" for the girls! i pray everyday for my kids they dont have to ever deal with losing a parent. it is so hard in so many ways. love u ro breathe xoxo

Anonymous said...

Ro,

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for the loving tribute. It was heartfelt and touching. Blessing to you, your family and Pat's family during this sad time. Remember that you are well loved!

MediaDivaUnlimited said...

Oh Ro, The universe looks out on all the wayward children and Ms. Maravel was sent to make you who you are (and thankfully so for the rest of us wayward souls!) I am so sorry for your loss. The center named in her honor will live on and I'm sure her spirit will empower every soul that walks through its doors. Blessings to your family! ;D

wimomz said...

pat marvel's love will forever shine
through all that she touched in life
through the 1000's of rbk's in legacy

Anonymous said...

Ro, I'm sure both your moms are so proud of you. You are a gift to us. I cant wait to see the new school open. I hope you and the kids are having a great summer. You made our summer the best we could have ever dreamed of. Peace and Love to you! oxox jo&justin

Anonymous said...

Rosie, your mom sent you Pat. It ws her gift to you. Pat knew it too, that's why she never gave up on you.

Be strong, and when you are sad, just hug your kids, because you are a gift to them, as much as they are a gift to you.

All my best.

Anonymous said...

A beautifully breathtaking tribute. Pat lives on......

Anonymous said...

and her legacy passes through you as you mother motherless children...one at a time....one hundred at a time....one thousand at a time
same same same
Light, Love, Peace, Joy, and Respect
xoxoxoxo
neicey
(denise/Canada

ShyladyV said...

Every child needs someone in their life like your 2nd Mom Pat Maravel. U
r a very strong person - and I don't mean physically. I don't think u give yourself enough credit. U r a rock to many and u r filled with so much love and compassion. U deserve to be free of u'r demons and I hope someday u learn how to let them go.
(when I want to let go of something I visually picture it zooming up to the sky up up up into the black abyss of space where it disintergrats to dust and is never seen again). I miss u on tv - the best to you and yours, always.

Anonymous said...

UR love and compassion = PRICELESS

Drow said...

and so it goes... and so it goes... peace

Anonymous said...

Oh Ro, so sorry for your loss. I hope your time off helps in your healing.

Jenn in Texas

Jennifer Evers said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] said...

Thank you for sharing - I was certain she was someone who loved you without boundaries.

Anonymous said...

Im so very sorry for your loss.Iam also very happy for your find of such a wonderful woman. She will live on in you.

Anonymous said...

Ro,
your words touch n comfort me
like those who have laid the path for you.
take comfort in knowing you comfort
u r the light that i couldnt see before.
stay strong.
love n hugs.
(even though im not a hugger)

Jen

Anonymous said...

You have been so missed, I thought I was in withdrawal, finally decided to settle for RBK....and what a blessing I've received from reading your tribute to your dear Pat Maravel! So very touching and now I understand why you needed time. They say 'time' heals all wounds, but they are wrong. When someone like this passes through your heart, nothing heals that pain. You will always have a big spot in your heart with her tucked lovingly away for a quiet moment. I wish you loving thoughts of her, and thanks for allowing the world to share in her legacy. I hope next time I come to NYC that I will get to see your tribute to her.

Jen said...

Wow, that was ext touching. brought tears to my eyes. i, too, had a teacher like that in high school who took me by her wing and guided me...but once after i graduated she fell off the face of the earth...i dont hate her for it but i feel she did it for my own good..so i can grow..but ur story, ro, reminds me of my inspirational teacher and second mother. Love you Ro!