Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Field Trip


a post from Lindsay
I’m usually the one in the office all day at RBKids – and I am thrilled when I have the opportunity to take a “field trip” to go and see the kids at rehearsal. (Side note – once we are in Maravel Arts Center, I will be able to simply take a trip up and down some stairs to see the kids - these days it’s a trip through Times Square and down the street to the rented studio space!)

So yesterday, I fought the Times Square tourist crowd and made it to the studios to talk to the kids about their upcoming Walkathon. It’s their chance to raise money to give back to Rosie’s Broadway Kids. They’ll be walking the 6 mile loop around Central Park this summer and are charged with the task of soliciting sponsors for their walk! Last year, they raised over $1700 at their walkathon – this year, we’re hoping to break $2000! I think they can do it.

Upon entering the 16th floor of the building where the studios are, I began hearing snippets of Broadway auditioners, stomping feet, “Do you have a headshot?” and “Next!” up and down the hallways. This space was full of theater professionals – in the 20+ studios, RBKids was just one group of many.

I walked into the studio to the sounds of our kids singing “Welcome to My Life” by the group Simple Plan. The kids - passionate, mature, talented – sang out as they rehearsed the staging to the number. Their show this year includes songs from the popular vocabulary – Alicia Keys, Simple Plan, Pink – that our staff musicians have artfully re-arranged to fit our kids and our show. This year, they’re singing what they know, about what they know. It’s moving, and it’s gonna be good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Petra said...

I know the kids must be having the time of their lives. I hope you will consider posting some video of rehearsals as well as the performance, so we get a chance to see how far they've come!

I know the children are forming friendship bonds they'll keep for a lifetime. It is something I wish every child had an opportunity to do. I am so proud of you all for your efforts in making this happen.

: ) P

JoeyfromSC said...

Good luck with the goal for the walkathon! :)

Unknown said...

That sounds SO exciting in the studios! And the walkathon sounds so much fun too! I know they can do it.

Anonymous said...

This is magic!! For you and the Kids!! You all will have the time of your lives!!
Peace
xoxo
Denise(neicey)
Canada

Anonymous said...

I've seen the last two summer shows and each lifted me from my seat. There's nothing like kids on stage singing and dancing their hearts out to bring a grown woman to (happy) tears. Rosie and all who work for RBK should be commended. Their hearts are truly in the right place. Best of luck with the walkathon and the new building. How exciting!! :)